Migraine attacks sometimes last much more than several hours. Such headaches can torture the victim for up to three days, causing severe pain in one side of the head as well as provoking nausea and vomiting. The victims of a migraine become sensitive to bright light or loud noise, not being able to lead a normal life as such intense attacks ruin their career and relationships.
There are lots of drugs used for the treatment of migraines. Most pain relievers contain opioid and barbiturate components, which means that they cannot be used on a regular basis. Such drugs as Fioricet coupled with other medications are most commonly prescribed for managing migraines.
What Drugs Are a Good Choice against Migraines?
If you get migraine attacks only rarely, it would be a beneficial choice to take Fioricet as your number-one remedy against such headaches. However, if you have migraines too often, it might not be advisable to use this drug. This is because it can lead to misuse, resulting in the development of addiction. This can be hard to manage once it develops.
Let’s see what other drugs can be used against migraine attacks:
- You may start with over-the-counter pain relieving medications such as acetylsalicylic acid, acetaminophen or other similar medications. If these drugs appear to have no effect, you may try some other anti-inflammatory medications, some of which might be available only on prescription;
- If you have severe headaches, you can try to use triptans, such as sumatriptan or zolmitriptan among other types. Generic drugs of such kind may also have a good effect in certain instances;
- If triptans do not produce the desired effect, you may use a combination of triptan and anti-inflammatory medications to achieve the necessary outcome;
- If the above-mentioned drugs do not help, try nasal sprays or injections that might produce the effect a bit quicker than tablets;
- If you also suffer from nausea during your attacks, try to use the above-listed medicines in a combination with anti-nausea drugs, such as metoclopramide, which might help relieve feelings of sickness and also prevent vomiting.
If you get migraine attacks too often and nothing seems to help you then ask your healthcare provider how your headaches can be relieved in the most effective way and what medications are the best to use.
When Fioricet Is Helpful for Migraines
When using Fioricet, it is advisable to follow the dosage directions with precision to avoid abuse or overdose, which might lead to undesirable health outcomes. However, don’t forget that Fioricet is a barbiturate medication and, therefore, cannot be used on a regular basis. But sometimes doctors prescribe this drug in case you need a strong medication against severe headaches or if other drugs seem to be not as helpful as it is expected.
In cases of emergency, it is also advisable to use such drugs as Fioricet simply because they produce the effect quickly and almost without any serious side effects.